In the book of Romans in the first seven chapters the word ‘Spirit’ is found only four times. Yet in chapter 8 the word ‘spirit’ or ‘spiritual’ is found twenty-one times.
In the first 7 chapters, Paul answers these questions: Who needs to be saved? And how are we saved?
Now in chapter 8, he answers the question: How does one live the life that God wants us to live? The answer to this question is that we must be led by the Spirit.
1. The one that is led by the Spirit is not condemned. (Romans 8:1) “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (The word “walk” in context means the same thing as the word “led”.) There are only two ways that one can live. Either we can be led by the flesh or we can be led by the Spirit. Here Paul is saying that if we do not want to be condemned we need to be led by the Spirit.
2. The one that is led by the Spirit is free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:2) “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” What is the law of sin and death? It is this: (Romans 7:20-21) “Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.” If one is free from this law he will have the power not to sin. Being free from the law of sin and death, I will be able to do the will of God. This is what it means in (Galatians 5:16) “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.”
3. The one that is led by the Spirit then will be able to think spiritually. (Romans 8:5) “For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh, but they that are after the Spirit mind the things of the Spirit.” The word “mind” has two meanings: what one thinks and obeys. This is saying that if one minds the Spirit then he will think like the Spirit and will obey the Spirit.
4. The one that is led by the Spirit has the Holy Spirit dwell in him. (Romans 8:9) “But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if any man has not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”
5. The one that is led by the Spirit has the Spirit dwelling in him so that his body is alive and righteous. (Romans 8:10) “And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.”
6. The one that is led by the Spirit is the child of God. (Romans 8:14) “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”
There is a lot more that should be said about being a child of God but I must stop now. I will continue next time to tell you more about the child of God. I pray that there is no doubt in your mind that you are saved, and the Holy Spirit dwells in you and leads you.
*Devotional written by Ralph Williams, retired pastor and member of One Hope Mobile.